Symmetry...

Monday, August 25, 2008


I came home after a long day. Rain was pouring in its own rhythm and my nostalgia took me long back in the sweet longings of my mom's "Bhaji's" in the rainy season...thats what are called "Pakora's" in Hindi. Also, that is what the Indian restaurants in US describe as the popular Indian cuisine in which onions/potatoes are dipped in a batter of gram flour and deep-fried. Yes, it is a yummy Indian snack ate with sipping of chai (Indian tea) at times when days are blessed with rains.
So...here it goes...i took a big knife and started cutting the red onions. I cut the onion into 2 halves ....WOW! Interior of this half onion was amazingly beautiful...lol...yes, what else can i do but laugh? Isn't "beautiful onion" a mere rhetoric???...but the adjective is not pretentious or exaggerated...its my sincere thought at a glance. Since i was a kid, i always had this endearing attitude towards symmetry. I am quickly attracted and connected to symmetry in anything, anywhere, everything and everywhere. I think symmetry ties together various aspects... proportionality, balance, perfection and ultimately a beautiful pattern....and that is the reason i was always fond of free-hand drawing. It served a challenge for the center line to be a mirror and for the two halves to be its mirror images...and that too without an ounce of error. The onion reminded me nothing but the free-hand drawing in my elementary class. Yes...Symmetry it is :)

3 comments:

Kattykally said...

nice one :)
watch Discovery Channel's Patterns, Symmetry and Beauty when you have time. It is a 30 minute program and very inspiring...

http://www.cosmeo.com/videoTitle.cfm?&nodeid=&guidAssetId=C1A7A6FE-A724-460A-8740-2B03C9240678

Asmit said...

whoa!!!
wonderful...
simple...would be the right word...!!!
I dunno whether this is a coincidence, but for the past many days - i had started finding connection betn the onion and myself. I have started eating lots of onion lately (in spite of my love for the fruit since my childhood, but these days its growing...aani mala mansi saarkhi mhanate "asmit, jaast kaanda khau nako, masti vadhate angaatli")and more specifically, when the waiter serves it cut into two parts, i always make it a point to peel each layer with my teeth and then bite it off with a crack. That feeling is awesome!!!
It gives me a high...
I am in that onion phase and when i visit ur blog i find its snap...i am immediately attracted and mystified by your demystifying post...

Kattykally said...

Please collect your Brilliante Weblog 2008 Award here:

http://exploreless.blogspot.com/2008/08/brilliante-weblog-2008.html