I dream of painting and then i paint my dream...

Thursday, August 4, 2016




Tik-tok-tik-tok, I walk over the uneven stony squares with my heels getting stuck in between the gaps of the surface but my anxious feet keep increasing the pace and run towards tower B1. I rush into the lift and my fingers run to the number 10 before my eyes even find it. I am conscious of this other person standing in front of me as I am quite drenched in sweat after all that rush. I look at him and quickly take my eyes off turning to the rapidly changing red digits on the display, 1 and 2 and 4 and 7 and 10, stop! I am almost at the edge of the lift, if this was a cliff, I would have fallen down as soon as the door opens. I step out to a windy corridor and a strong smell of fresh paint. If I didn’t know where I live or if I was blind folded, I would have simply followed this wave of smell surrendering myself to its newness. I stand at the door, look at 10-10 and scroll my hand over it like I would do for any of my loved one. With a full and long breath I open the door and the white color smells even stronger. The house is messy, Ruhaan finds his way through the unpacked boxes and comes running to me as he always does. His eyes are beaming with cheer and happiness or is it my eyes that have soaked so much satisfaction that everything seems happy and cheerful around?  I realize how extremely different it looks now then what we had seen on day 1. I also realize it resembles so closely to the vision we had of what it should look like. I assure myself that the roller coaster ride in the last month to get it into a completely new shape, color, look and feel has landed back safely. 

People refer to it as an investment, property, saving rent, practical decision blah blah. I refer to it as “a house...my house…our house”. I don’t know if a feeling of being able to hammer nails in any of the walls, paint windows in any color and not worry about the white kitchen spoiling by Indian masalas, is quite worth putting all your savings to buy a house in Singapore or not. I would rather restrain myself from finding any reasons and just enjoy this ultimate joy of being an owner of this cozy space which is designed, decorated, furnished, painted and brought to life with our own specific taste. And that’s why it belongs…so much… to us, not just because of some sign on a paper and transfer of title.

Post-dinner, we sit in the drawing room with very minimal lighting and the place is still glowing and shining in the dark. Like I said before, the glow is kind of lingering in our eyes probably. We don't talk much, just sit there holding hands, looking at each other and looking around, smelling the sweetest thing ever....the new paint.

0 comments: